Responsive Data Systems was founded in 1977 by Robert W. Fish to create solutions for the IBM Midrange marketplace. The company initially used its technical expertise to develop custom solutions. In the early 1980′s the company began building package solutions for the Retail Industry. Competitive Edge point of sale solutions are running in retail and distribution sites throughout the United States and Canada. Competitive Edge runs directly on the IBM Power family of servers and integrates seamlessly into many popular back office solutions.
The development staff at Responsive Data Systems continues to enhance the functionality of Competitive Edge. Responsive Data Systems strives to incorporate the newest technologies into the product: intelligent barcode scanning, product imaging, barcode label printing, integrated check and credit card validation, hand held radio frequency terminals, electronic cataloging, IBM SurePOS cash registers, and electronic signature capture devices. Enhancements and interfaces to new technologies are included with each new release of the product. Competitive Edge is currently on its eleventh release.
Responsive Data Systems is dedicated to providing its customers with superior service and technical support. Competitive Edge user conferences serve as forums to allow users to share ideas and make recommendations to the development staff for future enhancements to the application. With over 35 years of industry experience, a number of business partners (including IBM), and a loyal customer base, Responsive Data Systems is poised to continue as the provider of premiere point-of-sale software solutions for years to come.
- Point of sale runs directly on an IBM iSeries or IBM Power Server
- Integrates with any IBM iSeries or IBM Power back office software
- Can be centralized, distributed, or a combination
- Highly scalable for any size business
- Integrates state of the art electronic cash registers or PCs with cash drawers, receipt printers, laser scanners, etc.
- Integrated credit, debit and gift card processing increases accuracy and speed of close out
- Enforces back office business policies and practices at the point of sale
- Handles any mix of cash, check, credit/debit card, and open Accounts Receivable
- Supports powerful global searches and item imaging to quickly and accurately identify products when they can’t be scanned
- Tracks layaway and deposit orders
- Handles all aspects of customer special orders, from POS through purchasing and receiving
- Controls sales of items requiring permits
- Generates documents associated with an item automatically at Point of Sale
- Supports sales of kits and assortments
- Advanced pricing routines support an unlimited number of complex customer pricing schemes
- Supports open order processing as well as cash and carry
- Supports tracking and processing of partial releases of orders
- Supports payment on account processing at the point of sale
- Handles gift certificate, gift card, and customer loyalty processing
- Allows for selling in multiple units of measure
- Provides customer and item histories at the Point of Sale
- Reduces the cost of ownership by allowing a single skill set throughout the enterprise